Getting an online immigration status (eVisa)

This advice applies to England. See advice for See advice for Northern Ireland, See advice for Scotland, See advice for Wales

You should check if you can get online evidence of your immigration status - also called an ‘eVisa’. 

Most physical immigration documents are being replaced by eVisas. This includes:

  • biometric residence permits (BRPs)

  • biometric residence cards (BRCs)

  • stamps in passports

  • 'vignette' stickers in passports

Getting an eVisa is free and won’t change your permission to live in the UK.

You’ll need to create a UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account before the end of 2024 to access your eVisa.

If your biometric residence permit expires on 31 December 2024

Most biometric residence permits (BRPs) have an expiry date of 31 December 2024 - because eVisas are replacing BRPs. This doesn’t mean your visa ends on this date.

The Home Office will ask you to create an account for your eVisa before your BRP expires. 

If you’re not sure when your visa ends, you can check the letter you got from the Home Office when they approved your application.

If you still can't find when your visa ends, talk to an adviser.

Video from the Home Office - what is an eVisa?

When you'll get an online immigration status

When you'll get an eVisa depends on your situation.

If you're applying for a visa or indefinite leave

The Home Office will ask you to create a UKVI account for your eVisa if you’re applying for:

  • a visa - unless you're visiting the UK for less than 6 months

  • indefinite leave to remain

You might need to create your online account during or after the application process. It depends what kind of visa you’re applying for.

If your application for a visa or indefinite leave is approved, you’ll get a temporary biometric residence permit (BRP) as well as an eVisa. The BRP will expire at the end of 2024. This doesn’t mean your visa ends on this date. 

Later in 2024, the Home Office will stop issuing temporary BRPs and you’ll only get an eVisa.

If you already have a visa or indefinite leave

The Home Office will contact you during 2024 to ask you to create a UKVI account for your eVisa if you have:

  • a visa - unless you’re visiting the UK for less than 6 months

  • indefinite leave to remain (ILR)

Make sure the Home Office has your correct email and postal address so they can reach you. To update your contact details, you can fill in a change of circumstances form on GOV.UK.

If the Home Office can’t contact you, you can still create a UKVI account later in 2024.

If your visa ends in 2024

You’ll get an eVisa if you apply to extend your visa or get indefinite leave.

If you have ILR and you don’t have a BRP

If your have an ILR stamp in your passport, you’ll need to get an eVisa before your passport expires.

You can apply for a free BRP. This will make it easier for you to set up a UKVI account when the Home Office contact you. You can apply for a BRP on GOV.UK.

If you have pre-settled or settled status

If you get pre-settled or settled status through the EU Settlement scheme, you’ll get an eVisa.

If you’re not an EU Citizen, you’ll get a physical immigration document - but these will also be replaced by eVisas.

You can check how to view and prove your pre-settled or settled status.

If you already have an online account

You don’t need to create a UKVI account if you already have one. You might already have one if you’ve applied for:

  • pre-settled or settled status from the EU Settlement Scheme

  • a student visa

  • a British National (Overseas) visa - and you’re from Hong Kong

If you can’t access your account 

You can get help to recover it. You’ll need to have access to the phone number and email address used to create your account. Check how to recover your UKVI account on GOV.UK.

Creating an online account

You’ll need to create a UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account to get an online immigration status. 

You’ll be able to use your UKVI account to:

  • view and prove your online status

  • check what rights you have in the UK

  • update your personal details - like your contact information

How to create a UKVI account

The Home Office will send you a link to create your online account. You’ll also need to download an app called ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ to verify your ID. 

To create your account, you’ll need:

  • access to an email address

  • an identity document - for example, your passport or current BRP

  • your current BRP number - if you already have a visa

  • your application number - if you’re applying for a new visa 

  • a smart phone to download the ID verification app

You can check how to download the UK Immigration: ID Check app on GOV.UK.

If you’ve already proved your identity at a Visa Application Centre or Service Support Centre, you still need to create a UKVI account.

If you need help creating an account

You can ask someone you trust - like a friend or family member.

If you can’t manage your own account, you can add someone to your account who can do it for you - known as a ‘proxy’. For example, you might need a proxy if you’re a child or you have a disability that means you can’t do it yourself.

If you still need help creating a UKVI account, talk to an adviser.

If you need help using a computer or mobile device

You can get help from the Home Office’s assisted digital service if you either:

  • aren’t confident using a mobile device or computer

  • don’t have access to a mobile device or computer

  • don’t have internet access

The service is provided by We Are Group.

They can help you over the phone. You might be able to visit someone or they might be able to visit you at home - this will depend on where you live. Find out more about how to get help from We Are Group on GOV.UK.

We Are Group

Tel: 0333 344 5675 (Monday to Friday from 9am to 6pm)

Text: 07537 416 944 - text the word VISA

Textphone (using Next Generation Text): 18001 0333 344 5675


Your call is likely to be free of charge if you have a phone deal that includes free calls to landlines - find out more about calling 030 numbers.

If you don't have internet access

You can use the internet free of charge at:

Proving your rights in the UK

You can give a share code to someone who needs to check your immigration status - like your employer.

You can still use your expired BRP to get a share code until the end of 2025 - as long as your visa is still valid.

You can get a share code on GOV.UK.

This code is only valid for 90 days - if it isn’t used within the 90 days you’ll need to get a new one.

Proving your right to enter the UK

You still need to show your physical immigration documents when you travel - for example, your BRP or stamp in your passport.

Before the end of 2024, you’ll be able to use your eVisa to enter the UK instead of your physical document. 

You can check the rules for entering the UK on GOV.UK.

Updating your UKVI account


Make sure you keep your account up to date

If you don't keep your account details up to date, you might not be allowed to enter the UK.

You’ll need to update your UKVI account if:

  • you renew or replace the identity document you used to apply - for example, if your passport expires

  • you change your name - for example, if you get married 

  • you change your address, phone number or email address - your contact details need to be up to date so you can view or share your status

  • you want to change your identity document or add another one

You can add or change your identity document using your UKVI account. You might be asked to send your passport or national identity card to the Home Office.

It will be a number of weeks before you can log in with your new identity document details - make sure you keep the details of your old one until then. 

When you add a new identity document to your account, you’ll need to sign in using that identity document in the future.

Don’t worry if you can’t see your old identity document on your account. It’s still there, but the system might only show the most recent one you’ve added.

You can update your details in your UKVI account on GOV.UK.

If you don’t get confirmation after you've updated your account, or you’ve been waiting longer than 4 weeks, contact the UK Visas and Immigration contact centre.

If you have problems with your eVisa

If you create a UKVI account before the Home Office contacts you, you won’t be able to see your eVisa in your account.

If you need help sharing your status, updating your details or correcting an error, contact the UK Visas and Immigration contact centre.

UK Visas and Immigration contact centre

Telephone: +44 (0)300 790 6268 - select option 3

Telephone: +44 (0)203 875 4669, if you are unable to dial 0300 numbers

Monday to Friday, 8am to 8.30pm

Saturday and Sunday, 9.30am to 4.30pm

Help us improve our website

Take 3 minutes to tell us if you found what you needed on our website. Your feedback will help us give millions of people the information they need.

Page last reviewed on 08 March 2024