Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Working tax credits - how much you can get

This advice applies to Wales

The amount you'll get depends on your circumstances. To work out your claim, HMRC looks at things like:

  • your income from the previous tax year (what you earned for the 12 months up to 5 April)
  • how many hours you work
  • whether you’re part of a couple

You won’t know exactly how much you’ll get in tax credits until your claim is processed. This can take up to 5 weeks from when you send the claim form.

If you're over 18, you can use the Turn2us benefits calculator to work out how much you can get. You’ll need to provide details of your income, working hours and childcare.

Additional payments

Depending on your circumstances, you might get more money on top of the normal tax credits you receive.

You could be entitled to more than one of these additional payments - HMRC will work out your exact amount when you apply.

Your circumstance

Additional payment 

You’re a couple applying together Up to £2,010 a year
You’re a single parent Up to £2,010 a year
You work at least 30 hours a week Up to £810 a year
You’re disabled Up to £3,090 a year
You’re severely disabled Up to £1,330 a year (usually on top of the disability payment)
You pay for approved childcare Up to £122.50 (1 child) or £210 (2 or more children) a week

If you’re disabled

You might be able to get extra tax credits payments - called the ‘disability element’ - if you’re claiming (or have recently claimed) a sickness or disability benefit, for example:

  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Attendance Allowance (AA)
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

You’ll qualify for extra payments if your disability means you’re disadvantaged in getting a job. The tax credits disability helpsheet on GOV.UK explains which benefits are included, and what counts as a ‘disadvantaged’.

Your extra payments will increase further - known as the ‘severe disability element’ - if you get the ‘higher’ or ‘enhanced’ rate of DLA, PIP or AA.

If you're over 18, you can use the Turn2us benefits calculator to check if you can get extra disability payments.

If you claim as a couple and you’re both disabled, you’ll get an extra payment each.

Help with childcare costs

You'll need to be working at least 16 hours a week to get help with childcare costs. 

To qualify, your childcare provider needs to be:

  • a registered childminder, nursery or other registered provider
  • an out-of-hours club on school premises run by a school or local authority
  • a childcare scheme run by an approved provider

You can check if your childcare is approved on the Care and Social Services Inspectorate website.

If your childcare provider’s related to your child, they only qualify if they look after your child away from your home, and they are registered or approved. To be registered or approved, they usually also have to look after children they’re not related to. This applies to the child’s:

  • parents

  • grandparents

  • aunts and uncles

  • brothers and sisters

This applies even if they aren’t blood relations (for example step parents).

If you're part of a couple

You'll both usually need to work at least 16 hours a week. In some cases, you'll  qualify if one of you can't work - for example due to illness.

Contact your nearest Citizens Advice if you or your partner can't work - an adviser can help you work out if you can get help with childcare.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?
Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.