Letter to complain about faulty goods bought on hire purchase

This advice applies to England. See advice for See advice for Northern Ireland, See advice for Scotland, See advice for Wales

Use this letter template to complain to the finance company that you make your hire purchase (HP) payments to. They are responsible if the goods are faulty, rather than the trader that sold them to you.

It should help the trader understand your point of view and their legal obligation to sort out the problem.

You can send the letter by post or copy the text into an email. If you’d prefer to talk to the trader on the phone or in person you could read it out to them.

Sam Hoolin

8 Park Avenue


01632 960001

Giltham City Bank

24 Station Road
GT16 3LP

27 May 2024

To whom it may concern,

Account number: 12345678

Consumer Rights Act 2015

On 26 October 2022 I entered into a Hire Purchase agreement with you for Thread+Go sewing machine model 5400 from Giltham Traders.

I now have a problem with the goods:

the machine stops working after 15 minutes of use and then takes at least an hour to switch back on.

I understand that under the above legislation, it is your responsibility to resolve the matter and would therefore ask that this is done within the next 14 days.

Yours faithfully,

Sam Hoolin

Further help

Contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 0808 223 1133 if you need more help - a trained adviser can give you advice over the phone. You can also use an online form.

If you’re in Northern Ireland, contact Consumerline.

Help us improve our website

Take 3 minutes to tell us if you found what you needed on our website. Your feedback will help us give millions of people the information they need.