Letter to complain about faulty goods supplied with a service

This advice applies to England. See advice for See advice for Northern Ireland, See advice for Scotland, See advice for Wales

You can use this letter template to complain about faulty goods that have been supplied as part of a service such as building work or car repairs.

It should help the trader understand your point of view and their legal obligation to sort out the problem.

You can send the letter by post or copy the text into an email. If you’d prefer to talk to the trader on the phone or in person you could read it out to them.

Before you use this template, make sure you read our advice on:

Sam Hoolin

8 Park Avenue

01632 960001


Warm Holmes Ltd

24 Station Road
GT16 3LP

27 May 2024

Reference: 223388/6

To whom it may concern,

Re: Consumer Rights Act 2015

On 14 January 2022 you completed the following work for me: New boiler and central heating system installation

I paid £300.

One of the radiators leaks and has ruined my carpet.

In support of my claim, I'm enclosing: photos of the damage to my carpets from the leaky radiator

I would like you to:

Replace the leaky radiator, and the other radiators that have all been painted using paint meant for walls and provide payment to cover for the cost of the damaged carpet.

Please respond to my complaint in the next 14 days. If you fail to respond or put the problem right in this time, I will have no option but to consider taking the matter further.

Yours faithfully,

Sam Hoolin

Further help

Contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 0808 223 1133 if you need more help - a trained adviser can give you advice over the phone. You can also use an online form.

If you’re in Northern Ireland, contact Consumerline.

Help us improve our website

Take 3 minutes to tell us if you found what you needed on our website. Your feedback will help us give millions of people the information they need.