Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Letter to make a claim for equal liability from a credit provider

This advice applies to England

When you buy goods or services on credit your creditor may also be responsible if things go wrong.

Under the terms of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 - Section 75 if you have a business link with your credit provider as well as the trader, you may be able to make a claim to get your money back under the equal liability rules. This holds your credit provider jointly and severally liable with the trader for any breach of contract.

You are most likely to have a business link with your credit provider if you've bought something with a credit card or you have an agreement where the trader provided you with the goods or service but a separate finance company provided the credit.

Your credit agreement should say whether you can make a claim under equal liability rules.

If your credit provider also provided you with the goods or service, you will not be able to make an equal liability claim.

You can make a claim if the price of any single cash item is more than £100 but not more than £30,000.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.

Additional feedback