Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Child abuse - organisations for children

This advice applies to England


ChildLine has a free, 24-hour telephone helpline for children who feel they are in trouble or danger. All calls are treated confidentially, but if a child discloses information which suggests a danger or threat to life, ChildLine will contact a social services department or the police. The child would be informed that confidentiality had been broken and given the reasons. The child may need to ring a number of times before getting through. The child may email or chat online to a counsellor using ChildLine's 1-2-1 messaging service once s/he has registered on the website. The contact details are:


Helpline: 0800 1111

Email: secure email and 1-2-1 chat messaging available once a child has signed up to the 'your locker' section of website

Website: is a website, run by the Child Exploitation and Online Protection (CEOP) Centre, which gives advice to children about internet safety and allows them to email reports about online sexual abuse or sexual content. The website also gives advice to parents, carers and teachers about internet safety for children. The website of Thinkuknow is .

Coram Children's Legal Centre is an independent national charity concerned with law and policy affecting children and young people. It provides a free and confidential advice service to young people, their carers and professionals, in writing, by telephone and online. It also produces free fact sheets on child and family law, available from its website, in several different languages. The contact details are:

Coram Children's Legal Centre (England)
Riverside Office Centre
Century House North
North Station Road

Child and family law advice line: 0300 330 5480 (Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 6.00pm)

Education law advice line: 0300 330 5485 (Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 6.00pm)

Migrant Children's Project advice line: 020 7636 8505 (Tuesday to Thursday from 10.00am to 4.00pm)

Head office: 01206 714650
Fax: 01206 714660
Email: (for general enquiries only, no legal questions can be answered by email)
Website for young people:

The Children's Society

The Children’s Society has a network of children’s centres and projects which can offer support to vulnerable children. It also runs initiatives in mentoring and advocacy. The contact details are:

The Children's Society

Edward Rudolf House

Margery Street



Tel: 020 7841 4400



The Childrens' Commissioner for England

If you are a child or young person living away from home or getting social care, you can phone the Children's Commissioner for England on 0800 528 0731 for advice or help.

If your enquiry is about a child abuse concern, it's best to call Childline on 0800 111. The website of the Children's Commissioner for England is .

The Hideout

The Hideout is a website that provides help, information and support for children and young people affected by domestic violence. It includes advice sections and hotline contact numbers.


Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.