Get your home connected to a gas or electricity supply

This advice applies to England. See advice for See advice for Northern Ireland, See advice for Scotland, See advice for Wales

If you've moved into a new home and the electricity or gas doesn't work, it's possible you'll need to get the property connected to a gas or electricity supply.

To do this, you’ll need to:

  1. Set up a connection - the company you get to do this will depend on where you live.

  2. Choose a supplier - this will be the company that will bill you for energy you use.


If the gas and electricity already works in your home, you won't need to set up a connection - but you'll need to set up an account with a supplier.

Set up a connection

Contact your local electricity distributor and gas network operator to get your home connected to the mains. These companies are responsible for the gas piping and electrical wiring - they don’t supply energy.

How much it will cost

The distributor or network operator will give you a quote for the cost of the work to connect your home.

The cost will depend on how much work they have to do and how long it takes. For example, it might take longer if the company needs access to neighbouring properties or to close a road to make the connection.

Some parts of the work may be able to be done by someone else, such as a registered electrician or gas engineer. This is called ‘contestable work’.

If you think you can get the work done more cheaply:

  • ask the distributor or network operator to break down the quote into contestable and non-contestable work

  • get quotes from contractors for the contestable parts of the work

  • compare the quotes to the price provided by your supplier to see if you can get the work done at a better price

Always check with the distributor or network operator whether any of the work carried out by an independent contractor needs to be agreed or inspected by them.

Check if you can get a free or discounted gas connection

If you’re struggling with energy bills and living costs you might be able to get connected to the gas network for a lower price, or for free. This is part of the Fuel Poor Network Extension Scheme (FPNES).

Contact your gas network operator to check if you can apply to the scheme. You can find out who your gas network operator is on the Energy Networks Association website.

If you’re refused a connection

In some situations, a gas network operator or electricity distributor might refuse to provide you with a connection. This might be because:

  • the pipework or wiring is in a dangerous condition - you may need to have work carried out to make it safe before you can be connected

  • your area is not supplied with gas because your home is not within 23 metres of a gas main - you could look at arranging for a pipe to be laid and connected to the mains, but it could be expensive

You should ask the gas network operator or electricity distributor why you’ve been refused a connection. If you think the decision is unfair you can make a complaint.

For help making a complaint or getting a connection set up, contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline.

Choosing a supplier

As well as setting up a connection, you’ll need to choose a company to supply your gas or electricity. This will be the company that will send you bills.

The supplier will install a meter on your property, so you should choose them in good time before you want the connection to take place, in order to avoid delays. You might have to pay for this installation - it depends on the supplier.

Suppliers are required to supply gas or electricity to new customers when asked. If an energy supplier refuses to install a meter or set you up as a new customer, you can make a complaint. Find out how to complain to an energy supplier

Contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline if you need more help - a trained adviser can give you advice over the phone, online chat or by email.

Choosing low carbon alternatives to gas heating

Instead of using gas, you could install a low carbon heating system - for example, a heat pump. Find out more about heat pumps from the Energy Saving Trust.

You might be able to get a grant to help with the cost through the Boiler Upgrade Scheme. Check if you’re eligible for the Boiler Upgrade Scheme on GOV.UK.

Help us improve our website

Take 3 minutes to tell us if you found what you needed on our website. Your feedback will help us give millions of people the information they need.