Letter to switch energy supplier if you have a prepayment meter

This advice applies to England. See advice for See advice for Northern Ireland, See advice for Scotland, See advice for Wales

You can use this template letter if you've tried to move to another gas or electricity supplier but your current supplier has objected. The letter asks your supplier to complete your switch if all of the following apply:

  • you have a prepayment meter

  • you owe your supplier money, but your debt isn't more than £500 for gas or £500 for electricity

  • you've asked them to switch you to a different supplier

  • they've sent you a letter saying no because of your debt

Before you begin you'll need:

  • the name of your current supplier

  • your account or customer number

  • the name of the person who wrote to you

  • the date you received their letter

  • the name of the new supplier you want to switch to

  • the amount of money you owe your current supplier

To create your letter, click on the 'write letter' button and follow the steps. You'll need to enter some information about yourself and your account. You can then preview and download your letter.

This is an example letter, and it might not suit your specific situation.

If you need more detailed advice or guidance, contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline.

Sam Hoolin

8 Park Avenue


01632 960001

British Power

24 Station Road
GT16 3LP

16 July 2024

To whom it may concern,

Account number: A632145

I am writing in response to your letter dated 25 February 2022.

You objected to my request to switch suppliers because of my debt, but customers with a debt of £500 or less are eligible to switch under the Debt Assignment Protocol (DAP).

My current debt amounts to £253.87, so I am writing to ask you to complete my switch to Big Energy.

British Power does not need my consent to share my details with Big Energy (as previously thought under the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998 and clarified by Ofgem in September 2014), so my request to switch suppliers should be completed.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully,

Sam Hoolin

Further help

Contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline if you need more help - a trained adviser can give you advice over the phone, online chat or by email.

If you’re in Northern Ireland, contact Consumerline.

Help us improve our website

Take 3 minutes to tell us if you found what you needed on our website. Your feedback will help us give millions of people the information they need.