Help with paying your water bills
This page looks at ways you can pay less for your water.
What you can do to pay less for your water
If you're struggling to pay your water bills and you haven’t got a water meter, check whether having one installed will save you money. Many water companies, as well as the Consumer Council for Water (CCWater) have water usage calculators on their websites to help you work out how much you are likely to pay if you have a meter.
You can also look at ways of using less water, and you should make sure you don’t have any water leaks that are making your bills higher than they should be.
If you're having problems paying a water bill, talk to your water company as soon as you can. You might be able to spread payments over a longer period through a payment plan. Water companies accept a variety of payment methods.
Many water companies run hardship schemes or fund independent charitable trusts which can help you pay off your bills if you're in debt. Contact your water company to ask what schemes are available. You can also find information about the different schemes available on the Water UK website.
If you're on benefits, you could also check whether you're eligible for the Watersure scheme or if you are a customer of Welsh Water, for The Welsh Water HelpU scheme.
Your water company and the Consumer Council for Water (CCWater) can both help you find out if there are ways to cut your bill. CCWater has top money saving tips on their website at www.ccwater.org.uk.
Are you entitled to benefits you’re not getting?
Check you're getting all the benefits you're entitled to.
Should you use a company that offers to save money on your bill?
If you are the account holder, you are responsible for paying your water bill. Some independent companies may offer to act as your agent with your water company, so that:
- you pay the independent company
- the independent company pays your water company.
You should carefully consider the terms and conditions of the contract offered.
However if payments are not passed on to your water company it can still hold you responsible for paying your water bill, even if you have already paid the independent company.
- For more about whether changing to a water meter can save you money, see Changing to a water meter
- For more about Watersure see Watersure scheme - help with paying water bills
- For more about Welsh Water's HelpU scheme see The Welsh Water HelpU Scheme
- For more about what to do if you're having problems paying your water bills, see If you don’t pay your water bills
- The British Gas Energy Trust booklet has details of schemes run by water and energy companies if you are having difficulty paying your water or energy bill, available at www.britishgasenergytrust.org.uk
- If you need more help
Other useful information
- OFWAT guidelines for companies on Dealing with household customers in debt at: www.oftwat.gov.uk
- To find out which water company supplies your area, go to the Consumer Council for Water's website at: www.ccwater.org.uk
- For more help with water issues, go to the Consumer Council for Water's website at: www.ccwater.org.uk
- To find out if you're better off with a water meter, go to the uSwitch website at: www.uswitch.com/water