Letter to complain about a delay to a service

This advice applies to England. See advice for See advice for Northern Ireland, See advice for Scotland, See advice for Wales


Further help

This letter applies to a service that you gave the go-ahead for on or after 1 October 2015. 

If you bought the goods before 1 October 2015, contact the Consumer Service for advice on what to include in your letter.

Use this letter template to complain to a trader about delays in starting or finishing a service.

You might want to complain because the trader:

  • hasn’t done the work in a reasonable time, eg if a decorator started work painting a room a week ago, but disappeared after a day and hasn’t been back to finish the job

  • didn’t meet an agreed deadline, eg you ordered a birthday cake and it hasn’t been delivered in time for the party

It should help the trader understand your point of view and their legal obligation to sort out the problem.

You can send the letter by post or copy the text into an email. If you’d prefer to talk to the trader on the phone or in person you could read it out to them.

Before you use this template, make sure you read our advice on:

Sam Hoolin

8 Park Avenue


01632 960001

Giltham Traders

24 Station Road
GT16 3LP

21 May 2024

To whom it may concern

Consumer Rights Act 2015

On 2 October 2022, you agreed to do the following work: Put up a new fence in my back garden at a cost of £700.

We agreed this work would be started by 2 January 2023.

We agreed this work would be completed by 4 January 2023.

However, I have had the following problems:

You only came on one day to look at the garden and said you'd brought the wrong tools. You haven't been back since.

According to the law named above, I am entitled to have this work done by the date we agreed.

I would like you to put the fence up, as agreed.

I would like you to start this work in the next 14 days.

If you fail to start the work in this time, I will have no option but to consider taking the matter further.

Yours faithfully,

Sam Hoolin

Further help

Contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 0808 223 1133 if you need more help - a trained adviser can give you advice over the phone. You can also use an online form.

If you’re in Northern Ireland, contact Consumerline.

Help us improve our website

Take 3 minutes to tell us if you found what you needed on our website. Your feedback will help us give millions of people the information they need.