Skip to content Skip to footer

This advice applies to England. Change country

Housing options for older people

Many people find that they start to think more about where they live as they grow older. You may be happy staying where you are, but could do with some support to make life easier. Do you need repairs or adaptations to your home to be able to carry on living there comfortably? Or perhaps you are thinking about moving somewhere smaller or nearer to family and friends. Would moving in with your family be a good idea? What about sheltered housing? Would a care home be right for you?

You can find lots of useful information about your housing options on the Age UK website.

In England, go to:

In Wales, go to:

Age UK also produce more detailed information about care homes. You can have a look at this online at: PDF .

Age UK also have an adviceline. You can contact them on 0800 169 6565.

There is another helpline which gives general advice to older people, in particular about care, housing and finance. It is called FirstStop and you can contact them on: 0800 377 7070. Their website is:

If you need specially adapted accommodation you can apply to have your details entered on to one or more Accessible Housing Registers.

For more information about Accessible Housing Registers, see Finding accommodation.

Was this page helpful?